Thursday, November 7, 2013

hey good lookin'

"Good morning beautiful:)! How r u?" greeted me via text message this morning when I arrived at my office.  Funny thing, I have no idea who the sender is.  It came from a number unknown to me and my know-it-all iPhone.  Just a number.

I started to text back "sorry, wrong number," but it occurred to me that it would be more fun to play with this one.  So I tap away, "Uglier every day.  I suspect you have the wrong number because no one has accused me of being beautiful in years, but it was fun for a moment, thanks!"

It was fun for a moment, someone shot cupids arrow at their lover and it bounced off the cloud and hit me right in the ass.  It's been a long time since anything like cupid's arrow hit me.  Don't get me wrong, I love my wife of 26 years...we have a terrific mature marriage, but there was something fresh in this misfired text message that reminded me of feelings I had long ago.

"I'm sorry, someone should tell u ur beautiful every day:)!"

What a response.  I was stopped in my tracks.  My smart aleck reply to a errant message generated a pearl.  A simple, young, naive pearl.  Life is full of surprises, and I'm usually busy trying to script all the moments.  Today I was reminded that sometimes gems come out of accidents.

No comments:

Post a Comment